Saturday, July 27, 2019

Time to Say Good-bye


I began this blog seven years ago, at a turning point in my life: My mother, Idora, had recently died and I was out of a job, no longer needed to help entertain Mom's many friends and relatives, shovel her front walk, fix her meals, or drive her to the hairdresser’s. The house felt empty without her, and Patrick proposed a change of scene. His mother, who was in a nursing home, owned a spacious apartment in Fontainebleau, a short train ride from Paris. Winter was coming. We packed a couple of suitcases, threw ourselves a big party, and left.

Since then, we have spent seven winters in France. During that time, I . . .



The blog post with the most hits: How Long Is a Gorilla’s Penis When Fully Erect.

This morning I decided it was time to bring Sadie and Company to a close. After seven years of bouncing back and forth between continents, Patrick and I are ready to settle down. Our new life will be centered on our new home in France, the one we moved to in March, after selling my mother-in-law's apartment and disposing of most of her things. The house in Vermont is still unsold, and we will keep it for now. I'll visit Randolph as often as I can. We'll continue helping writers publish their work with Korongo, the micro press that began as an art gallery in downtown Randolph. I'll write, take long walks, and finish hemming the bedroom curtains. Patrick will drive his new car to the grocery store, the pub, and the post office. We will watch the sun rise and set over Butte Montceau, and try to remember that we are here on earth for a flicker of time and that each day, each moment, is precious.

Love, Sadie/Sara/S.

Above: My mother's amaryllis, spring 2014. Below: Butte Montceau, June/July 2019.














No comments: